So awhile ago, I was bored and decided to use the Erté dollmaker to make dresses for all the ATLA ladies.
- Katara is a warrior, but she is controlled and motherly. I wanted to make her strong and powerful, but gentle as in the flow of water which I tried to imitate in the flow of fabric forming the train of her dress.
- Toph is playful, yet solid and self-assured. I wanted to keep her outfit young (as in the sheer shawl around her shoulders), but still something she’d want to be able to move around in, thus something simple. Also she does want to feel pretty once in awhile as we’ve found out (the makeovers with Katara!) and so I gave her a fairy-like headband, something that is the opposite of Toph’s nature, and yet it exists in there somewhere!
- Azula’s dress is a chaotic combination of varying reds—how the flame spreads out in all directions. I wanted to make something still representative of the Fire Nation, but a dress that was still Azula; so here we have the blue for Azula’s blue lightning. She is still royalty, but she does what she wants.
- Ty Lee is like Toph; young and playful, a bit of girlish and tomboyish all in one. I wanted to represent the playful flow of fabric in her gymnastics, but also something that was sweet and fickle at the same time.
- Mai’s is my favorite. Mai is apathetic elegance, thus the silver instead of gold for Ty Lee and Azula, and also a shade darker than the brighter fun colors. The silver is also for her knives, and in keeping with that, I wanted her to appear controlled and precise, yet red for the Fire Nation.
- Suki actually is a warrior, and I wanted hers to be traditional, elegant, and graceful at the same time. Like Mai’s, hers is also precise and refined, but a bit playful in fabric at the same time.
- Yue is a goddess—the moon casting light out every which way. I wanted hers to be angelic, but still representative of the Water Tribe in the way water flows and heals with its pure qualities.
So basically, this was a lot of fun, and I didn’t realize how much I cared until I was looking for specific details in dresses!